Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sassy's Hips



We took x-rays of Sassy's hips today for her OFA certification. She is showing some displasia, so we will have to wait and see what OFA rates them. It makes me more comfortable with my decision to spay her (which was done today also). Breeding Standard Poodles can be very difficult with the health problems that are in some of the lines. Sassy's mom, Chauncey, was spayed last year after one of Sassy's littermates bloated and I felt there was too much risk in her lines to continue them. One of Chauncey's younger siblings was diagnosed with Addison's disease shortly after this litter was born (2004). I just felt the odds were stacked against her and decided to spay Chauncey.

A good thing is that Jasmine, who is unrelated has passed all of her testing so far, just a few more to complete, and then will be bred later this year. If all goes as planned she will have a litter late December/early January. Of course that depends on if I can find a male that is suitable for her, comformation, temperament, and health. I have been going through pedigrees every night, elminating and choosing other dogs. So, if anyone has ideas that breeding is any easy thing to do or not expensive, think again. It takes a lot of responsibility for the puppies and courage to face what might happen and a lot of prayer for everything to go right.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never thought it would be an easy job. I'm glad to see that you are a responsible breeder. That is so in the best interest of the animals & their owners.

8/04/2006 6:45 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I try to be resposible and do what is best for my girls and their puppies. I learned the hard way with my first poodle and don't want that to happen with my puppies. Thanks.

8/05/2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I know you're a responsible breeder. We could only wish there were more like you. You're leading by example. Thank you!

8/07/2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thank you, Erin. I'm trying to set a good example and learned a lot from the breeder of Chauncey and Jasmine about being straight forward and honest with puppy buyers.

8/08/2006 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home