Tracking Seminar
I took Blueberry to a tracking seminar on tracklaying and handling. We spent the whole day in a field and had a lot of fun. They talked about basic tracking rules and what they mean. How to properly lay a track for a test, plotting maps, counting our strides, etiquette at a test, and walking a straight line. We also had some handling drills, keeping our leads untangled, where we need to be when our dog in is different positions around us. At the end, everyone that brought a dog had a track laid for them and was critiqued by the judges that taught the seminar.
A lady that was new to tracking got to lay a 100yd straight track for Blueberry, after several mix-ups she finally had it finished. Blueberry ran it with no problems and went through the change of cover and hole just fine. We then split into 3 groups and went with one of the judges to plot and lay a track. It was interesting to see how they picked their landmarks. After we had plotted them, on of the team went back and laid the track, picking up all the flags. They then had 3 experienced tracking dogs run the tracks. One was Ziggy, a golden owned by Joyce, and he did great on his track. The other 2 did well, with one overshooting the glove at the end. I learned a few tips and need to work on my map drawing. I can lay a track and remember where I went, but my map drawing seriously needs work, especially if I ever am able to become a judge and need to send AKC my maps. It was a fun day and the weather was a little cool in the morning, but warmed up by afternoon. I talked to Fred, one of the judges, and he will certify Blueberry after I get back from PCA. We are much closer to our tracking goal and hope to finish both Chauncey and Blueberry's title by the end of this year.
One of the reasons I wanted to take Blueberry was to get her in a situation that would be similar to a test. All the people and other dogs, with lots of noise and activity. Blueberry did very well, sleeping in her crate for most of the morning and never even hesitating to start her track, when there were about 10 people standing behind us watching and talking. She even jumped up on Fred and Ron and let them pet her. She can be a little shy around men, so I took this as a good sign of her improvement.
A lady that was new to tracking got to lay a 100yd straight track for Blueberry, after several mix-ups she finally had it finished. Blueberry ran it with no problems and went through the change of cover and hole just fine. We then split into 3 groups and went with one of the judges to plot and lay a track. It was interesting to see how they picked their landmarks. After we had plotted them, on of the team went back and laid the track, picking up all the flags. They then had 3 experienced tracking dogs run the tracks. One was Ziggy, a golden owned by Joyce, and he did great on his track. The other 2 did well, with one overshooting the glove at the end. I learned a few tips and need to work on my map drawing. I can lay a track and remember where I went, but my map drawing seriously needs work, especially if I ever am able to become a judge and need to send AKC my maps. It was a fun day and the weather was a little cool in the morning, but warmed up by afternoon. I talked to Fred, one of the judges, and he will certify Blueberry after I get back from PCA. We are much closer to our tracking goal and hope to finish both Chauncey and Blueberry's title by the end of this year.
One of the reasons I wanted to take Blueberry was to get her in a situation that would be similar to a test. All the people and other dogs, with lots of noise and activity. Blueberry did very well, sleeping in her crate for most of the morning and never even hesitating to start her track, when there were about 10 people standing behind us watching and talking. She even jumped up on Fred and Ron and let them pet her. She can be a little shy around men, so I took this as a good sign of her improvement.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home