Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Tracking Breakthrough

We went tracking again today. I only took Blueberry as Chauncey hurt her leg and is taking it easy and letting it heal.

Everyone met up at the usual place, a western store and feed shop. We can shop and buy snacks while waiting for everyone else to arrive:o) Jean had a new beginner student, so while she worked with them on baby tracks, I laid a mid length one for Joyce's Henry. Jean had already laid a TDX length track for Joyce's Ziggy before we arrived, so it could age some before the cross tracks were put in.We let Henry's age a little and Joyce laid one for me and Blueberry.

After she came back Jean drove to the bottom to lay the cross track. We were short one person so there was just one cross instead of the usual two. I had to walk back up the hill and Jean drove back around to pick me up once I was past the track. When we got back to the top, Joyce ran Henry's and he did pretty good, but is fighting Joyce about bouncing back and forth on the track. She won't give him much lead and is making him stick to the track area, so he is refusing to move forward for her. They will probably work it out after a few times.

I then ran Blueberry's track. Blueberry was ready to go and just running in circles around me when I got her out of the truck. I let her run for a couple minutes, then got started. I held her close and tight, with some quiet "Settle Downs" thrown in. By the time she made it past the 30 yd flag, she was focused and working the track. We had 5 turns and it was 425 yds long. It had aged about 45 minutes, which is about the time most tracks tests age around here. Blueberry did very well, she picked up her turns beautifully. I am getting much better at reading her signals and staying focused on my dog, not looking off to see where the track might have gone. I almost messed her up at the second turn, she was really pulling me to the right and I was just holding my ground, not thinking it went that way. Finally, Jean yelled "Trust your dog", so I followed and there was the next turn marker. About 10 yards after the 4th turn we hit some heavy cover, tall weeds and very thick. Blueberry didn't hesitate, but went right through them and stayed right on the track. She was just so solid on this track today and steady. In the past, she has wanted to shut down and come sit by me right near the end of the track, usually at the last turn where I wait until she circles and gives me the signal. This time she was moving so good, and I knew we were near the end, I just went right with her and did not stop and make her double check herself at the last turn marker. Blueberry went a little straight and then veered back over to the left and was right on the last leg. I could see she was thinking of quitting, but she was still working, so I just kept moving and didn't let her get stopped. She nailed it and stepped right on the glove and got lots of praise, hugs, and treats.

I knew from reviewing our log that long tracks had been tough for her, so I had told Jean that I wanted a long track and was planning to just push her through. Hopefully, this is a turning point for her and will encourage her to keep trying until she locates the glove. We will do some short, motivating tracks the next couple weeks and then try another long one. I was very proud of how she handled the track today.

After Blueberry finished her track we went back to the bottom of the hill and Joyce ran Ziggy on his TDX track, it had aged for 3 hours. Jean and I walked behind her and he nailed that track. He went down the cross tracks a little ways, but returned to the main track. He handled change of cover and even crossing a road to find the glove. It is beautiful to watch a dog nail the track right on and run it smoothly.

Blueberry waiting to track in my new truck. They really enjoy this one, it has AC in the rear and is much easier for them to get in than my Bronco.

It also has a lot more room and I am going to build some storage in the back under their crates for all our training stuff that travels with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home