Monday, March 27, 2006

Needs More Work

Chauncey and I were entered in a Rally trial yesterday. She already has her Rally Novice title, but we are working on her attention and heeling, so entered to get some ring practice. Our class was not until almot 2:00pm, so I had some time to look around. I set up Chauncey's crate and my chair in the Rally building, then walked to another building where the comp obedience was held, on the other side of the grounds. I was able to watch some people I know in Open B. I walked back and forth a couple times to check on Chauncey and see where the Rally classes were at.

I got Chauncey out about 5 dogs ahead of us and warmed her up. She did well outside, was focusing well and doing her exercises well. I was careful not to do a lot and get her tired or bored before our turn. The routine flowed nicely and was little trickier than the others that I have done. We had 2 spirals (one to the left and one to the right), 1 serpentine (weave once), and a number of 360's and 270 turns. It made it a little difficult to keep yourself straight:o) I did about 3 walk throughs to get it right.

It seemed as soon as we entered the ring Chauncey was not focused. There was a big garage type rolling door at the edge of the ring and it was opened. Of course there were men working outside it, and every bang caused her to look away and not pay attention to where we were going, which resulted in several tight lead lost points. Chauncey was with me more than she has been in the past, but we had some errors that cost us points. We had a moving down and lost 10 points on that exercise. I came up to the sign and gave Chauncey the down command. She went part way daown and I had to give a second command to finish. I did not repeat this exercise as I knew she would do that again. she did pretty well on the other, not as smooth as I would have liked her to be, especially when I know she can do a lot better. We lost another 3 points on the Halt, walk around dog exercise, for having to redo it. Chauncey looked away and did not sit, so I opted to do a repeat of the station.

We ended up with 79 points, much lower than any of her other tries. We will be working on focusing and trying to get out in some distracting places before our next trial.



Still looking good after her grooming. She is making a face at me because I made her sit in damp grass to ge this picture.

Now she is ignoring my attempts to get her attention.

I'm glad she loves me and puts up with all I put her through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home