Thursday, March 09, 2006

Back To Work

We finally were able to get back in the field after several weeks of off time. The 3 of us met up yesterday and decided what we wanted to work on. I went to the top field to lay a TDX length track for Joyce and Ziggy, while they went to the bottom fields to lay the other 3 tracks (TD length). After I laid Joyce's I went to the bottom and we got ready to run the other 3 tracks. We let them age about 20 min and Joyce ran Henry's, which he did well. Her Golden's are so funny, when they find the glove they are in such a hurry to bring it back and show it to Jean and I.

Jean had laid a regulation length track for Blueberry. I also laid a straight 60 yard track for her and ran that one first. She is so wild when I get her out of the truck, I decided to try this and see if it would help her settle down. In the past she is going so fast she overshoots the first turn. The pre-track seemed to help as she was much more focused. Blueberry nailed her turns and didn't have any problems staying on the track. One problem that she did have at the end, was right at the last turn, she just stopped, tucked her tail between her legs and came straight back to me. I encouraged her to keep going and after several tries she finished and found the glove (although it was half-hearted copared to how she started). We were towards the end of the field, then there is a road and some houses. A dog was barking and we could hear some men talking. Did the other people startle her? Looking back over our other tracks, when we get to this length (300-400 yds), I noticed that she is doing this. Strong until near the end then shutting down. I'm wondering if she thinks she should have found the glove already or is there something else going on?

Chauncey's track aged the longest of the 3 (30 minutes) and was in the most difficult area. A field that had been mowed down and was dried, dead grass and weeds (I kept tripping over the stalks), with cacti thrown in. She started great and nailed her turns. The track started uphill and then went down into a basin type area, with changing wind patterns. She tended to stay on the upper side of the legs. She was very focused and worked great today (no hunting on the side). I have not seen her work like this in a while. I think not tracking her as often is working for her and keeing her interest up. A good day, some break throughs and some things to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home