Getting Wet & Cold
I volunteered this past weekend to help lay tracks for the TCOCF's TDX test. I arrived on Saturday ready to do some walking. The people in charge decided that I would be the head cross track layer and would only need to walk the tracks on Sunday. I went around to the different areas and watched the judges plot the tracks and they explained where the tracks and cross tracks were and how I was to enter and leave the fields. One of the fields had a good size ditch that I would have to cross to leave the field. We were expecting rain, so I planned on bringing a change of clothes on Sunday. I was done by 2:00 and went home to get ready for a wet day. I got there Sunday and we waited for Jean to get done laying her track, so she could help me lay cross tracks on #1 & #2 track. Well, just as we were waiting for her to get to our area, the rain let loose. It was blowing gales and pouring. I had a rain coat on and old tennis shoes (my water boots were left at the horse stalls), the water poured right off the rain coat and down my legs. We had to be careful in the field as there were holes and wet logs under the grass. After the second cross track was laid the rain finally let up and it was just cold and windy. I made it through the ditch and didn't fall on my backside climbing out, so that is a good thing. After changing into dry shoes, I started warming up a little. My hands felt frozen and they took a little while to thaw out. I stayed and watched the dogs run their tracks, there were 5 entries, and none were able to get past the first turn. Two of the dogs never made it past the start flag. My pants were fairly dry by the time I started for home and got the heater going in my truck. I have been asked to help in April with their VST test, so I am looking forward to that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home