Welcome
Welcome to my blog. This is more of a training journal for my poodles and interesting things that happen in our lives. As this is my first time doing this, it should get better from here:o)
I have three Standard Poodles and to say that they adore me would be laying it on pretty thick, but I think that they love me a little, LOL. Chauncey is 5 years old, Jasmine is 2, and Blueberry is 1. They are all training for an obedience career. Chauncey completed her AKC Companion Dog and Rally Novice titles this year. She is training for her Open, Rally Advanced, and Tracking Dog titles, those are our goals for 2006. Jasmine and Blueberry are getting ready to start trialing for their Rally titles in 2006. Blueberry is also training for her Tracking Dog title and Jasmine is starting work on her Working Certificate title (a hunting title).
I have been training Chauncey in tracking for almost two years and Blueberry has been at it for about seven months. Blueberry is Chauncey's daughter and has inherited her keen sense of smell. Since we all enjoy it so much, I decided to try tracking with Jasmine and see what kind of ability she has. A beginning track does not take long to lay or need much room, I decided to lay a track in the field bside the vet clinic, where I work. I laid a more difficult one for Chauncey.
I turned Jasmine loose in the backyard so she could watch me set it up. I made it about 10 yards long, with a sock article at the beginning and a glove at the end. I also dropped food about every 2 feet (for food I use Red Barn's Chicken & Liver Rolls). Jasmine saw me laying the food and was very interested in that. I put her harness on, took her to the beginning of the track, pointed to the sock and told her "Find it". Jasmine immediately found the food on the sock and started forward searching for more food, without raising her head to look around. She continued to search and find the food until she arrived at the glove, where she had a large food reward waiting and lots of praise. I was very pleased with Jasmine's beginning and will blog her following tracks so you can read how she progresses.
I then worked Chauncey on a short track with 2 turns and 3 articles (including glove). The first leg of the track was 90 yds and had one article about 60 yds out, the second leg was 60 yds with an article about halfway, and the last leg was 40 yds with the glove at the end. I only use food with Chauncey at the articles and a large food reward on the glove. She started very well and found the first article and completed the first turn with no slowing. Chauncey found the second article and at the second turn she circled twice before committing to the final leg. She was steady on the last leg to the glove and downed at the glove. I am working on downs at the articles and needed to give her a command for the first two, but she did and automatic down at the glove. A very nice track, steady, good confidence booster, and fun.
I have three Standard Poodles and to say that they adore me would be laying it on pretty thick, but I think that they love me a little, LOL. Chauncey is 5 years old, Jasmine is 2, and Blueberry is 1. They are all training for an obedience career. Chauncey completed her AKC Companion Dog and Rally Novice titles this year. She is training for her Open, Rally Advanced, and Tracking Dog titles, those are our goals for 2006. Jasmine and Blueberry are getting ready to start trialing for their Rally titles in 2006. Blueberry is also training for her Tracking Dog title and Jasmine is starting work on her Working Certificate title (a hunting title).
I have been training Chauncey in tracking for almost two years and Blueberry has been at it for about seven months. Blueberry is Chauncey's daughter and has inherited her keen sense of smell. Since we all enjoy it so much, I decided to try tracking with Jasmine and see what kind of ability she has. A beginning track does not take long to lay or need much room, I decided to lay a track in the field bside the vet clinic, where I work. I laid a more difficult one for Chauncey.
I turned Jasmine loose in the backyard so she could watch me set it up. I made it about 10 yards long, with a sock article at the beginning and a glove at the end. I also dropped food about every 2 feet (for food I use Red Barn's Chicken & Liver Rolls). Jasmine saw me laying the food and was very interested in that. I put her harness on, took her to the beginning of the track, pointed to the sock and told her "Find it". Jasmine immediately found the food on the sock and started forward searching for more food, without raising her head to look around. She continued to search and find the food until she arrived at the glove, where she had a large food reward waiting and lots of praise. I was very pleased with Jasmine's beginning and will blog her following tracks so you can read how she progresses.
I then worked Chauncey on a short track with 2 turns and 3 articles (including glove). The first leg of the track was 90 yds and had one article about 60 yds out, the second leg was 60 yds with an article about halfway, and the last leg was 40 yds with the glove at the end. I only use food with Chauncey at the articles and a large food reward on the glove. She started very well and found the first article and completed the first turn with no slowing. Chauncey found the second article and at the second turn she circled twice before committing to the final leg. She was steady on the last leg to the glove and downed at the glove. I am working on downs at the articles and needed to give her a command for the first two, but she did and automatic down at the glove. A very nice track, steady, good confidence booster, and fun.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home